What we do
Emergency Repair Program, providing Energy Conservation and Accessibility Retro-fits
This program provides home repair services to single-family homeowners in need of assistance through a combination of staff, subcontracting, self-help, and volunteers from local businesses and social service agencies. Community participation helps reduce program costs. Volunteer recruitment and supervision is an ongoing aspect of the program. The SJHP has a policy of cooperating with any volunteer group to maximize impact and leverage additional resources whenever possible.
Multi-family Weatherization and Rehabilitation:
- Multi-family weatherization reduces the tenants utility bills
- Provides improved indoor air quality and better comfort
- Works closely with owners and property managers to improve heating and cooling systems.
Rental Programs – Multi-family and Single Family:
- Purchase of Southern Villas to preserve 60 units of subsidized housing for elderly and handicapped renters. Weatherization retrofit improved comfort, utility bills and indoor air quality. A thorough retrofit of the property is underway and will be an example of one of the first green certified multi-family rehabs in Florida.
- The SJHP owns 12 single family rental properties, 9 of which were donated as part of the SJC NSP program. Each property has had energy conservation improvements as part of keeping the cost of rent and utilities as affordable as possible for eligible tenants.
Green-certified New Home Construction:
- Hancock Place homes are built 30% more energy efficient than building code required.
- Green Certified homes have lower maintenance costs
- Improved Indoor Air Quality
- Drought tolerant landscaping requires minimal water use.
SJHP Buys Houses
SJHP buys houses in targeted communities whose viability has been and continues to be damaged by the economic effects of properties that have been foreclosed upon or abandoned. SJHP utilizes multiple funding sources and donations to apply green retrofits to each property purchased, thereby reducing maintenance costs. The home is then rented to low income tenants, allowing them the opportunity to enjoy affordable living and better air quality. These properties are no longer a blight in the respective communities and are now one of the “best performing” homes in the area.
Consumer Credit and Foreclosure Prevention Counseling. First-time Homeowner Education.
- Educate homeowners on the options available to prevent a foreclosure on their home. Assist homeowners with the option that best fits their situation and goals for preventing foreclosure.
- Educate and assist customers regarding their credit, credit score and ways to improve credit.
- Assist customers with the home buying process. Provide first time home buyer education classes so that potential homeowners make informed choices.
SJHP is a HUD Certified Housing Counseling Agency offering a two hour free Foreclosure Prevention Education Workshop, to teach you about the default and foreclosure process. There will be an attorney from the local legal aid office and nationally certified counselors to provide information and answer questions about your specific financial needs.
Whether you have questions about your credit, need help establishing a budget, buying a home or saving for your first home — you will find the answers at our workshops. We offer access to government funded programs, group classes and individual counseling to help you navigate complicated financial situations.
Contact our office for a class schedule or to make an individual appointment, 904-819-1266.
Please download (click here) and bring the documents to the workshop for review and to schedule your next counseling session.